Monday, June 13, 2011

Smocking is coming back!

I've come to realize that if you live through a fashion trend, it's not quite as amazing the 2nd time around.  Here's what I'm talking about... last year when I went school shopping for Halle, I was disappointed to find clothing that looked a whole lot like my wardrobe in 1984.  Shirts with big "V" stripes and waistbands and shimmery plaid button down dresses with belts wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  I lived through the 80's once and that was enough for me.  On the flip side, I love the retro colors from the 70's, and when I sew Halle's clothes in the delicious earth tones of Anna Marie's Innocent Crush, my mom will say something like, "That is the most darling outfit, but those colors are straight out of the 70's"

Well, guess what?  I had a smocked dress in 1st grade, and even though I lived through the smocking era, when I saw these darling smocked aprons at Quilt Market, I went crazy!  The Apron Lady had the cutest smocked apron patterns ever, in fact, she let me buy an apron to display at the store!  There is a Children's Apron pattern and an Grown Up pattern, too!

I got a lesson and it is easy, breezy, lemon squeezy!  I can't wait to teach a class at the Quilt Barn! 
Watch for it this fall, because this would make the best little Christmas presents ever.  When I look at that adorable smocking, visions of couch pillows and pin cushions dance in my head! 

No comments:

Post a Comment