Saturday, June 27, 2015

Using Those Teeny Scraps


 My mom is the hardest person to buy for.  I always have my eyes out for a new little something to make her. Because she lives in another country, and shipping is ridiculous, I give her Mothers Day and Birthday presents when I see her on our annual visit.

I have been keeping this box around for a project for a while and my brain cells made a gift-box connection.


It is the perfect container to add some fun sewing related bit and bobs.

What You Need:
wood box (I believe this box was a cigar box)
spray paint (optional)
Modge Podge
sponge/brush
fabric scraps
scissors

How To:

-spray paint the inside and lid sides of the box. Let dry between coats. I applied 3 coats. This step is optional but adds a nice pop of color

-iron and cut fabric scraps into various sizes. My scraps came from a pile of scraps no wider on one side than 2.5" (those scraps get cut into 2.5" squares)

-apply a layer of Modge Podge on a small area. Lay a scrap on top and add another layer of Modge Podge on top of the fabric. Keep going, working in small areas, adding more scraps, slightly overlapping each piece. You may get some fabric fraying. I picked those string bits off as I went.

-dry overnight. All done!

This project only took about 30 minutes. I am now on the hunt for wood boxes with lids. It makes a great gift box and can then hold treasures

Follow Heather on Instagram @thequiltbarn and her destash account @thequiltbarndestash.
I am @tinyglutton

Check out great machine quilting options here. Let Heather help you finish your labor of love for a fantastic finished quilt


2 comments:

  1. If you have a cigar store or a 'man store' in your area, they will generally either give you cigar boxes or sell them to you for a couple of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to ask my mom to keep an eye out for some.She has several cigar shops in her city

      Delete