Saturday, September 30, 2017

My Favorite Things Quilt

You know the symptoms.  Rush of adrenaline and panic to hurry and purchase that print before it's gone, meticulous folding and stashing away, the gleam of satisfaction as you take it out of fabric jail every once in awhile to hold it in your hands and give it a smell and a few fond strokes of loving admiration.

This was me years ago after I quilted a low volume, japanese fabric filled, scrappy log cabin quilt for Bonnie of Pink Stitches (@greenletterday).  It was love at first site and I knew immediately that if I didn't start collecting japanese fabrics right away, there would be a huge void in my fabric hoarding life.

For years I collected, and collected, and collected.  It would be a sin to cut into this precious fabric.  It  was expensive and came all the way from Japan!  I had to wait for the right day, the right project, one worthy it's glory.

Until one day.  One day, I looked at my collection and realized that it was becoming ridiculous.  Haha!  I decided the only way get this obsession under control would be to immortalize all the fabrics!  I would make a quilt with all of my very favorite fabrics and all of my precious Japanese gems.

I started by cutting a 6" strip off of the short end of each of my favorite fat quarters.  I then cut those strips into 6" squares.  I didn't have a size in mind for the quilt, I just wanted it to immortalize all of my favorites!

I put it on my design wall in sections.

I ended up with a patchwork quilt FULL of fabrics I could look at for a lifetime and fall more in love each time I did.  It measured approximately 125" x 110" - HOLY CRAP!  So... I made myself a king size quilt!  I decided to put a double layer of wool batting inside and use it as a warm quilt on my bed under my bedspread in the wintertime.  Wool is absolutely wonderful!  It's natural and it breaths, keeping it warm in the winter, but not too warm in the summer.  I would put wool in all my quilts if I could!  


I chose an Art Gallery Fabrics print for the back.  It has such a soft, smooth feel and gets softer every time it's washed.  I wanted to keep the quilting at a minimum so the quilt stayed soft and pliable and cozy.


I chose a clamshell pattern.  It quilted up beautifully and I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!  It's the perfect winter quilt for my bed.  We can both hog the covers and there is still plenty of blanket left!

Fast forward 1 year... I still had a pile of my favorite fabrics left over.  So, I sewed them together to make a large throw.  I put a single layer of wool batting inside and chose an infinity loop pattern for the quilting.


This quilting is perfect for this quilt and reflects its modern style.







I chose a light grey striped binding because... well, I love striped binding!  I backed the quilt with one of my favorite Art Gallery Fabric prints from the Cherie line.


TA-DA!  A great finish!  Now... since I already have a king size version, this one is for sale.  Contact me for pricing.


Start collecting now!  When you buy a fat quarter that you love, cut a square and start your own "My Favorite Quilt" stash!

Heather @quiltbarn





1 comment:

  1. Hey there Heather! It’s Kathy. I love, love, this story. I can relate on a serious level. I am going to be checking this blogspot often. I used to do one (blogspot) and I loved it. May have to give another whirl at it, you have inspired me. Hope to see you the 30th. Oh, I wanted to ask, is this all Japanese fabric? I thought maybe I saw cotton and steel? It is sure lovely. I am going to try that wool idea on my next quilt . It is for my son in Alaska. I think he would love that!

    ReplyDelete