Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Minecraft Creeper Pillow Tutorial

All 3 of my daughters are big Minecraft fans. I have seen a few quilts made with the pixelated images from the game but there is no way I was going to be able to make 3 in time for Christmas. 

But I could make 3 pillows by Christmas. I hunted on the internet for a tutorial but no luck.



Fortunately,  it wasn't too hard to figure out a pattern. Graph paper was the key. I started with how big I wanted the pillow to be, how many different green fabrics I wanted to use, and then how many squares I would need.

Here is what I used:
5 different green fabrics (can be solid) 2.5" strips of each (WOF=width of fabric bolt)
8.5" of black fabric WOF
backing square of fabric 20"X20"
pillow form or stuffing (20" pillow form)
1/4" seam allowance for piecing
 

Here is my stack of green fabrics. My next pillow will be made from solid greens


The 5 fabrics cut in the 2.5" strips WOF


Subcut the strips in to 2.5" squares. You will need 16 squares from each strip


Cut the black fabric into the following sizes:
(1) 8.5"X4.5" rectangle
(1) 4.5"X2.5" rectangle
(2) 4.5"X4.5" squares
(2) 2.5"X2.5" squares


Lay out your green squares and black shapes in a grid formation, 10X10 squares (my photo is missing a few squares so it will not look exactly like my grid)

Sew the squares and shapes together in horizontal rows and  press the seams to the side with an iron
Sew the 10 rows together, top to bottom (again pressing your seams to one side)

Lay the pieced front and the backing piece together with the right sides together. Sew 3 sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leave a 5" gap un-sewn in the middle of the 4th side.

Turn the pillow right side out, insert the pillow form or stuffing, and sew the gap closed with an needle and thread

All done! After the two pillows like this I have to make I am going to start on griding the other images and make a quilt.

Let me know if you have any questions

Be sure to check out our Etsy Shop, I have been adding new stuff all week. Plus, all of our yarn is on sale!

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts, Finish it up Friday

7 comments:

  1. Cool. I like pixelated projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those greens and browns together. Very Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April and I appreciate your feedback!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, my kids LOVE Minecraft! What a great pillow. I have been trying to tell my 13 year old, who just started sewing, how easy it would be to piece a Creeper face. Hopefully your post will serve as inspiration....thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great beginner project! Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing. I need to make a gift and didn't even know what mine craft was. I hope you don't mind me using your design. It will save me a lot of time.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do use the idea. I have 2 more to make for Christmas!

      Delete